Saturday, July 17, 2010

Eggless Carrot & Raisin Cake


And so the baking continues... After the Cookie saga which some of you have been following for the past week, I decided to try my hand at baking a cake. Now I'm loathe to consume too much maida (All purpose flour) and Sid hates the smell of eggs. So I was searching for a good egg-less cake recipe with wholewheat flour when I remembered Arundati's Spiced Pumpkin & Carrot cake.

I followed the recipe from her blog, but did not have pumpkin at home. So I just used 2 cups of grated carrot and 3/4 cup raisins instead. So here is her recipe with the changes I made:

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup grated jagerry
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp yogurt (I used home made curd)

2 tsp Garam masala

1/2 cup orange juice (I used freshly squeezed orange)

Zest of one orange

Salt - 1 pinch
2 cups - grated carrot
3/4 cup - Raisins

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix all the dry ingredients in a lrge mixing bowl. Whisk the oil, yogurt & orange juice separately and add to the dry ingredients to form the cake batter. Fold in the raisins and grated. Bake for 35-40 min in a greased baking tin.

The way I like it:
This spiced carrot cake tastes best when served warm. So once its done, let the cake cool a bit on a wire rack, but slice and serve while still warm. Tastes amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

The raisins on top got a bit birnt, but otherwise the cake turned out just great and stayed good for 3 days in the fridge.

5 comments:

Satya said...

hi swati,
carrot cake looks wonderful moist n perfectly baked ...i love ur eggless jaggery version of cake ...awesome click ..never tried this before ,will try it soon
first visit to ur blog ..u got a beautiful space her with yummy recipes n nice articles ...happy to find u
if u get time do visit my blog

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Priya Suresh said...

Cake looks super soft, moist and utterly delicious..Gorgeous!

Cynthia said...

Serve me up a slice with a big cup of tea!

Priyanka said...

That really looks yummy! I am definitely trying it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for trying it out and am so glad you liked it...i like scrumptious cakes like this....